Oldest to Youngest

Oldest to Youngest
All Entered the Temple This Day

FindaGrave

Search 155.2 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname:

O, Remember, Remember

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Living Saga of Garvin Smith - Are you Dying to Read It? Part 15

Wednesday I started my third (and hopefully final) full chemo three-day regimen of Ativan, Decadron, Cytoxan, Fludarabine, Aloxi, Benadryl, Tylenol, Zantac, and Rituxan). One month from now I will get the PET scan to determine my fate. My oncologist is optimistic that I will only need "maitenance" Rituxan treatments in the future, even though my first scan is the worst lymphoma scan he has ever seen.

While Rituxan targets and causes the death of B-cell Lymphocytes, Cytoxin and Fludarabine work by damaging the DNA strands of all fast growing individual cells. The mutant clone cells (bad cancer cells) produced from the translocated 14th gene cannot repair themselves and they die. Normal cells produced from the 18th gene are able to repair themselves and they live on. Eventually, after modern medicine (per Elder Oaks in April 2010 General Conference) lowers the count of mutant clone cells enough the normal good cells can do their job and keep the mutant clones in check.

Hmmm. Sounds surprisingly similar to the blessing I received from John Cyrocki in January 2010. During that blessing of health, the good cells were commanded to “rise up like the stripling warriors of Helaman and destroy the bad cells” in my body.

God has blessed me. Mostly with so many caring friends. I can now testify that God has increased my charity, because of your support and good example! He has shown me how I must live. Another hymn is growing on me. "Because I Have Been Given Much", was never a big favorite of mine, but last Sunday as I sang the words, the eyes of my understanding were opened and I "saw" more deeply than ever before this truth: "Because of thy great bounty Lord each day I live, I shall divide my gifts from thee, with every brother that I see, who has the need of help from me." I realize more that ever that my bounty does come from God, but that as a gift from Him, it is my responsibinity to share it with my brothers and sisters who stand in need.

See you in a month! . . .

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Garvin,

I enjoyed reading your posts. I remember a lot of similar thoughts and feelings when I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed with NHL, B-cell, in 1996 and went through treatment with CHOP -- Rituxan was not yet approved. I had a relapse in '98 and again in '01; I had only Rituxan for those two relapses, and then was in remission until the end of 2009. I had my first treatment this go-round with Treanda and Rituxan three weeks ago. I have treatment with these drugs for two consecutive days once each month. Hang in there buddy, we can do this! Our prayers are with you and your family!

~Steve Maughan

Mother Smith said...

I want you to know, Steve, YOU and your family are in OUR PRAYERS! Who would have ever thought...we would be praying for each other...for the same reason...(smile) Life can be a HARD MASTER...but, thankfully, our Father is truly mindful of us...His tender "mercies" has been ever present...Here is to BETTER DAYS!!! My friend...! Our love to you and family! Will look forward to future reports on how you are doing!