Oldest to Youngest

Oldest to Youngest
All Entered the Temple This Day

FindaGrave

Search 155.2 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname:

O, Remember, Remember

Friday, June 25, 2010

LATEST REPORT of the Saga of Garvin Smith

The blood tests looked good today. Next Friday I meet with my oncologist and he will schedule another PET scan. Those results will determine my fate!

On another note, while perusing through my file at the doctor's office, I happened upon the "financial" tab. Here I noticed what the doctor pays for the chemo, and what the insurance allows for payment. Not a big difference there. What was surprising was that the Rituxan, used to target only the B-cell lymphocytes, and is a relatively new drug, costs $5,800 per dose! Cytoxin, a fifty year old chemo drug only cost $250. Since I had eight doses of Rituxan, that runs to $46,400 for that treatment alone!

Wow.

More to come.

1 comment:

Sandee Spencer said...

So so sorry you are sick but so grateful you are sick when we can still provide you with healthcare in this category of expense. I suspect it is not just development but more so liability that keeps the new drug costs so high. And you are sooooooooooo worth it!