Between a rock and a hard spot.
I have stage four lymphoma. We will know exactly what type when the results of my biopsy come back next week. Stage one roughly means the cancer is located in one spot or lymph node. Stage two means its located in two nodes. Stage three roughly means the cancer is found on both sides of the diaphragm. Stage four means the cancer is in the bone marrow.
Now there are two philosophies about curing this. One, the conventional medicine philosophy (CMP), is based on scientifically proven studies. This simply means that enough studies involving enough observations have been conducted according to the criteria of science and statistics, allowing for the studies to be replicated. Then there is the alternative medicine philosophy (AMP), which is not based on scientific studies due to a variety of reasons.
I have discovered that BOTH THESE METHODS CONTAIN TRUTH. However, advocates in both camps eye members of the other camp with, at best with suspicion, and at worst with distain, either because of conspiracy theories (AMPs) e.g. pharmaceutical companies will not allow for U.S. governmental and American Medical Association acceptance of homeopathic remedies because it will cut into their profits (do secret combinations exist? See President Benson’s talk, “I Testify” Ensign 1988, Nov, 8, p. 87.) or, homeopathic “quack” theories because the established medical profession (CMPs) has not found any scientific (see definition above) proof that they actually work, even though there are many testimonials that they have worker for some.
I have seen with my own two eyes that some of these AMPs do work. (Remember, for years the CMPs would not accept any chiropractic treatments). Debbie recently rubbed my feet and then looked on a Reflexology chart for the lymph system “pressure point” which she rubbed. Shortly thereafter I developed a headache, and had only partial vision in my right eye. Coincidence? I think not! Recently I had acupuncture performed to relieve pain in my spleen. After the acupuncturist finished on my back he asked how I felt. I said I still had pain. He explained that he could not reach all the points and I had to now lay on my back. When he finished with my stomach and side the pain was gone. Last week we went to an iridologist in Provo. These AMPs read your body, not from your feet, but from the irises of one’s eyes. She asked what my problem was. Being ever so wise to hooligans, I said, “Oh, no! You read my eyes and you tell me what is wrong!” She proceeded to do just that. She did not state that I had a form of lymphoma (the CMP term) but did tell me that, among other things, I had big problems with my blood and my bone marrow.
Now here we notice an important difference. The CMPs will diagnose the symptom (lymphoma) and treat the symptom (too many lymphocytes of some kind). But the iridologist (AMP) diagnosed the problem: bone marrow failure leading to blood problems (too many lymphocytes).
Now comes the rub between the rock and the hard spot. I can attempt to try to cure this problem with AMP treatments, or I can attempt to try to cure this problem with CMP treatments. If I try to cure the problem with AMP, it may not work and I’ll die (according to the CMP oncologist) within six months. But it may work and I’ll live on without any problems for many years. Or I can attempt to cure the problem with CMP (R-CHOP chemotherapy). However, this also may not work and I will spend my last days sick and weak from the chemo. But it may work and I’ll live on without any problems for many years. What to do? What to do?
This week I will see my oncologist again. I will request another blood test and I will plot the results. If there is improvement, I will put the CMP on hold and continue with the AMP as long as there is improvement. However, if there is deterioration, I may opt for the CMP R-CHOP chemo.
Since this lymphoma experience has been thrust upon me I 1) lost 30 pounds (good thing), 2) have been eating better than I ever have in my entire life (good thing), 3) have enjoyed my new Church calling (Ward Mission Leader) more than I ever thought I would (good thing), 4) have been able to be a more powerful witness for God and His goodness, mercy, love, and condensention towards His children (good thing), and 5) have grown closer to Father than I previously could conceive possible (good thing). My quest for the gift of faith and charity may end up costing me my life, but what a cheap price to pay to come to know God in a way that qualifies me to be exalted and inherit all He has! I knew God, sort of, before. I prayed, attended Church, served, home taught, went to the temple, etc., etc., etc. But now, when I sing a hymn, or pray, or listen to others pray, or read the scriptures, I often weep from the sheer joy of feeling Father closer to me. This is something I rarely did before. The goodness of God is so great that mortal language fails in its attempts to express God's goodness. I have an idea of what it means when teh scriptures relate that the words of Jesus could not be written, as they are to be understood only by and through the Spirit.
To be continued.
Top 11 Greens to Use in Your Green Smoothies
1 year ago
12 comments:
We're still praying. Faith precedes the miracle!!
We are praying you will know exactly what course to follow!
You have presented this as an either/or but it really isn't. My dad did the standard chemo for his leukemia all the while pursuing alternative therapies and treatments to shore up his immune system and support his body during such a caustic experience. I am convinced that the alternative support prolonged his life by several years.
Chemo is not just for the faithless. Remember that Neal Maxwell was undergoing chemo when he called Adam Garrett to express concern that he too had cancer and was undergoing chemo.
Sandee
Whether you choose conventional, alternative, or a mixture of the two, you'll get no judgment from me. There's good to be had in both routes.
I'll be thinking of you Garvin. You're a force for good in this world.
"The force is strong with this one."
Garvin, you have always been a spiritual force to recon with. The power of the Priesthood incompasses all things. Science, philosophy, diet, power in the Priesthood, all go hand in hand to overcome the blood and sins of this world. Sometimes the refiners fire gets hot and uncomfortable. It even hurts and burns some times. I know however, that you and your family will exit the other side of this process with greater wisdom and experience for it. You will all be a brighter gold and silver than what you entered as.
My prayers and blessings are with you always.
Robert Collester
Garvin, you have always been a spiritual force to recon with. The power of the Priesthood incompasses all things. Science, philosophy, diet, power in the Priesthood, all go hand in hand to overcome the blood and sins of this world. Sometimes the refiners fire gets hot and uncomfortable. It even hurts and burns some times. I know however, that you and your family will exit the other side of this process with greater wisdom and experience for it. You will all be a brighter gold and silver than what you entered as.
My prayers and blessings are with you always.
Robert Collester
I'm with Sandee, I think it might be beneficial to try both methods. Also, even though chemo is no walk in the park, people don't always have severe adverse reactions to it. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.
Steve was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma, fourteen years ago this fall. He too was told he would not live out the year. Miracles take place every day Garvin. But of course you already know that.
Good luck to you.
Pam
Garvin, I have always known that that Lord gives us trials to help us grow closer to Him. You surely are a testament to this and are a huge example to us all. Our family's love and prayers are with you and Debbie continually. Cathy
He better get better! I just ran 5 miles (8k) for him.
And dad, for the record, I beat my time from last year, even with the 300+ people I had to run around to get into my pace! (pics to follow)
I look forward to a 5k race we can run some day...
Love,
Caleb
Dear Brother Garvin, Greg has had a chance to talk to you and I haven't, but I wanted you to know that I will be praying for you as others are doing. In my quiet times this morning I was reading of Caleb of Joshua and Caleb.He "wholly followed the Lord" as you do dear Garvin. As I read your blog and listened to your heart pouring out God's force on your life, I was moved. Caleb had obstacles, but he also had perseverance. He wanted that hill and had to wait 45 years to get it. You are strong in spirit and you rely on the Lord. May He be with you every step of the way. Liz
Great, now I have to wait till I'm 45 years old to be married. :)
Lol! Caleb...dang you! That mean's I'll be 40 when I get married! Well, I guess the both of us can literally say that our mid-life crisis will truely be beginning then =)
Post a Comment