Today was a “bad” day. Overall I feel pretty good and have for some time. But in the afternoon I bumped into the director of the nursing program. We talked, and my situation was discussed. She mentioned that she noticed that I didn’t look too good, but didn’t want to say anything. She said my coloring was poor. I said, “What, like someone who is dying?” She responded in the affirmative. (Everybody else says how much better I look than I did a few weeks ago. But we put more weight on the opinions of those in the medical field.) So I have been struggling with my attitude today, trying to stay positive.
Tonight was especially difficult, with Debbie in Provo with Angel and their new baby. I longed for her to be by my side and to comfort me. I felt alone. But almost immediately my self pity turned to sorrow as I thought about our Savior and his loneliness in working out the great and Eternal atonement. While in the Garden He was strengthened by an angel while all of His earthly friends slept. But when He hung on the cross, alone, and according to Elder McConkie, “all the pains and sorrow of Gethsemane returned”, He was alone, so alone. I wept for Him, and my bowels swelled with compassion, for Him, who suffered so much. And I was reminded that he suffered exactly what Garvin is suffering (not just what any large B-Cell lymphoma patient suffers, but what I particularly am suffering) so that He is able to succor me in my time of need. I testify this is true. What love! What mercy! What charity! The great condescension of God! (1Ne. 11: 16, 26; 2Ne. 4:26; 9:53; Jacob 4:7)
But then I thought of Darrell Pierce, who is alone every night with no one to comfort him in his battle with cancer, and I wished I had been more compassionate and charitable when I had the opportunity to be so. I’m sorry Darrell.
Now maybe I can get some sleep.
To be continued . . .
Top 11 Greens to Use in Your Green Smoothies
11 months ago
14 comments:
I found your "experience" very thought provoking...
My first thought was..."how many people were praying for our Savior at the time he was in Gethsemane...and on Calvary..." ON THIS SIDE of the veil....
Second thought...I KNOW what the PRAYERS for you...have done...ON THIS SIDE OF THE VEIL...It has been ENERGY...POWER...and has given us BOTH STRENGTH to FACE this "challenge"...
Third thought...We must experience ALL THINGS...Not everyone...catches a "glimpse" of the most important MISSION that ever was called upon to do on this earth...We once discussed...you had not yet...been forced to your knees...and feel the "pains" of what it has meant to be "alone"...ACHE...due to REAL DEEP SORROW....I mentioned to you once..."be prepared" when that days comes....For one cannot SUCCOR DEEPLY...until...one is stripped...and forced to confront one's state before God...
Fourth thought: The nursing director...was clueless...of the workings of our FATHER in your behalf...ONE PERSON...nearly undid for a brief moment...ALL that has been working in YOUR behalf...Like Peter...walking on water...took his eye off the Savior for only a "brief moment"....
Fifth thought: YOUR MISSION on EARTH is being "REFINED"...for the ETERNITIES...I KNOW...with ALL MY HEART...YOUR MISSION is NOT QUITE OVER....Remember the Saints on the plains...they NEARLY DIED...SUFFERED GREAT SUFFERINGS...and yet.....through the MERCIES of our FATHER...they were SAVED at the very moment many could go no longer...NOT ONE would have traded that experience...Why?...because..."THEY CAME TO KNOW GOD"....
You have been BLESSED beyond your wildest expectations in your petitioning for INCREASED FAITH....CHARITY...GRATITUDE...and the SPIRIT of the HOLY GHOST...
It all comes down...to...our full TRUST in our FATHER...and only through HIM and CHRIST...will we be able to do all things..."I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)
Now..."...I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, STRENGTHEN thy brethren." (Luke 22:32)
Now, we are all here...silently behind, you, sweetheart...You have a calling as WARD MISSION LEADER...Go...find and strengthen those who do not KNOW where to TURN...YOU have been given the GIFT and POWER of YOUR TESTIMONY...I know...I have been EDIFIED...many times because of it...
I LOVE YOU DEARLY...See you in 4 days...(smile)
A wonderful reminder of how our words and conversation can strengthen each other or the opposite. (loved what you wrote Debbie- what a great support to your sweet husband!)
Not sure if I shared this story but one time I was visiting my oldest son and his wife. They had just moved into an apartment. They have quite a talent for decorating and all was lovely. I was there at the same time as Sean's wonderful relatives who honestly may be the most positive happy people I have ever met. George (Sean's father-in-law) said, "Sean and Alli I am just so happy to see your new place because now when I am home I can picture you here. It just looks fantastic. You have done such a great job. You so deserve to live in such a beautiful home." When he said that I realized I had thought every single positive thing he had said and I was ashamed that I had not thought to say them. That continued for the weekend with Nancy and George just saying the most positive uplifting things- but in every case they were thoughts I had had and agreed with. They were not insincere and they were not flattery. It just seemed that they had no dam between their positive and encouraging thoughts and their voice- they said every every good thing.
I want to try harder to life and encourage. Sister Hinckley was so perfect at that.
Garvin we love you! Everyone I have talked to has such total faith in your ability to know the mind and will of the Lord as you choose your course and treatment through this current challenge.
And ohhhhh avocados are definitely a gift from Heaven!!
Sandee
Sandee...Your story of Sean's in-laws reminded me...of Brother JOE METRO...Everytime I was in his presence...or even heard him speaking to OTHERS...he always had a KIND WORD...LIFTING...POSITIVE...EDIFYING.
I would walk away...thinking how much I wanted to be like him...cause I just KNEW it was how the Savior would speak to each of us...
As for AVOCADOS - I try and eat one almost every single day...It makes me feel really good...Garvin eats them, also...VERY SATISFYING...(smile)
THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts...Sandee...ALWAYS gives me cause to PONDER....
I love you daddy.
Avocados are gross. they come straight from the devil!
Rebekah wash your mouth out with brussel sprouts the only veggie that beats avocados (which I guess are actually a fruit) are artichokes!
Brussel sprouts, avocados, broccoli, artichokes, and asparagus are delicious. Foods from heaven - Dip in olive oil, cheese, or mayonnaise, and your mouth ignites in wondrous praise! :)
Skip the mayonnnaise and I fully agree with you Caleb. Nothing with that much oil, fat, and egg -(cholesterol) can be good for you ... :).
There are reasons one goes for a second opinion. I think you just found another one ;). I would certainly bring it up to your oncologist.
As I expressed in my email, you have no reason to feel that you should have been more compassionate and charitable toward me. I have never felt neglected. Some of the most supportive, comforting, and charitable acts have come from you and your family when I most desperately needed them. One more act comes to mind that I didn't put in the email. After my surgery, Debbie called my mother to let her know that everything had gone all right so she could let everyone else in my family know how things had gone. I was in no condition to make the call and would not have understood or remembered anything the surgeon had said. I know that my mother appreciated that call, more than she could ever express.
Garvin has regrets for not showing more compassion, charity and support toward me ? There is no need for regrets or an apology.
I absolutely LOVE avocados, artichokes, and asparagus!!!! However, I am...refraining from the Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli...However, now that I am eating wholesome foods, again...MAYBE...I will venture...in trying those veggies...by JUICING them...with lots of other things...and I will get the benefit...without the TASTE!!! (smile)
And, Darryl...you already know...what you have meant to OUR FAMILY!!!! I have been working on a project of organizing pictures...I have a FILE just on YOU...which when I finish...will make sure YOU get that FILE!!!!
artichokes are ok, love asparagus if they are not mush (mom!) broccoli is great and brussel sprouts come from the deepest hole of outer darkness! and leave out the mayo!
Thinking of you all. Encouraged by your faithfulness. Avocados, asparagus...tasty. Broccoli...give it a 5, if cooked right. Brussel sprouts..who in the world thought them up! :) Love & miss you guys!
I'll stick to Oreos and Ice Cream =)
In response to Mindy: 'Brussel sprouts..who in the world thought them up!"
Answer: No one in 'this' world, only a far superior being could think up such a delicacy - God. :)
You have so many people praying for you and thinking of you, Garvin. Even when you feel desperately alone, you're not.
I remember when my dad was going through his cancer treatments and was physically alone because we were all many states away. It was incredibly difficult for him even when we called him very frequently. I remember that and I wish there had been more I could have done to help him at the time.
Spring's coming. There must be calves on the ground at all the ranches around you. I hope you're able to find joy in the little things to help you through these very hard times.
Post a Comment