I went in for a PET scan Friday, February 26. Earlier I had a CT (CAT) scan (see my earlier post on this subject). Not that I am skeptical about modern medicine, but if you had these two scans you just might wonder like me. The same machine is used, and with the CT scan, you lay on your back, they put some dye in your blood, and you go into the machine feet first. But with the PET scan you also lay on your back, they put some radioactive sugar in your blood, but you go in head first! So far the main difference between the two experiences is the way you go into the tube. I suppose the stuff they put in you has something to do with the difference and possibly the way the machine works is different. I will get the results on Tuesday, March 2, 2010. I will then have a second blood test, and the results will be returned by Friday, March 5. But by then I will be traveling to Provo, Utah, to participate in the blessing of our thirteenth grandchild. So don’t expect any new news until after Tuesday, March 10.
However, I awoke this morning with greater insight to the scriptures, life, and the gospel. Praise the name of the Lord who hears and answers my prayers.
I thought of how I used to eat: anything and everything. I used to boast that I had a “cast iron” stomach. And I did! But after years of eating “nuclear radioactive” foods, my cast iron stomach gave way. Had I used zirconium clad stainless steel instead of cast iron I might still be slamming down those BLTs with a pound of bacon and the mayonnaise oozing out of the side. But I digress. The point is that to eat simply, used to be simply . . . painful! But recently I have been forced to change my eating habits. I remember eating dinner with Debbie recently and having simply an avocado with some tomato slices. Oh, how delectable, how scrumptious, how enjoyable! Just a short while ago I would have turned away from this simple meal after the food of the great and spacious building. (Actually an awesome blossom does sound pretty good right now!) But this morning as I remembered how good this simple meal of avocado and tomato tasted my memory was touched by the Spirit and this scripture came to mind: “. . . let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full. Verily, this is fasting and prayer, or in other words, rejoicing and prayer.” (D&C 59:13-14) It was now clear that the simple foods God gave us, would bring us joy and rejoicing! Oh, I’ll be the first to admit that lavish meals provide plenty of pleasure, but in this life we are to be seekers of joy and rejoicing, through obedience to God’s commandments, not seekers of the pleasure that is served up in the great and spacious building, e.g. awesome blossoms followed by a thick, juicy, tender, steak, and topped off with a fudge brownie and ice cream. (1Ne. 11: 35-36)
And then the promise, for God NEVER reveals a law designed to bring us joy and rejoicing without a providing a promise, so that our choices will be completely informed. And the promise is, “And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance— Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fullness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth; Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards; Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. (D&C 59:15-20)
My mind has been thus enlightened. As Debbie reads this, she is now jumping for joy herself.
Immediately following this enlightenment, my mind was prompted to think about this church. I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ is the Kingdom of God on the earth. Now, the Church either is, or isn’t, the Kingdom of God on the earth. But we must not only know this, we must ponder on it daily. For this knowledge will affect our actions. If this church is the Kingdom of God on earth, then we must be diligent in our duties. If this church is not the Kingdom of God on earth, then it doesn’t matter what we do, or how valiantly we perform our duties. Dip that thought in awesome blossom batter and eat it!
To be continued . . .
Top 11 Greens to Use in Your Green Smoothies
11 months ago
6 comments:
"Forced" to change your eating habits? I do believe you have the agency to choose. ;)
You are correct. The option to choose is as follows: change or DIE!
2 Nephi 2:27 "...choose liberty...or to choose captivity and death..."
"You have chosen, wisely."
I AM "JUMPING UP AND DOWN" with JOY!!! (well, as soon as I move away from the computer) You have 'finally' discovered the TRUTH..after all these years!!! (smile)
oh gosh....
Glad to hear that things are still going well and that you are enjoying the simple pleasures or is it the pleasure of eating simply? I can definitely relate to the insight/enlightenment you are receiving as I have received quite a bit myself regarding my own situation.
I have three more chemotherapy treatments left to go, a bone and CT scan, and then we see where we go from there. Right now, it looks like I will be returning to Orlando in July but may have to go back to Oregon late in the year for more treatment.
As far as your dual function machine in Kalispell, there could easily be an economic justification for having such a machine. It would definitely be preferable in a small town hospital where space was at a premium, the number of patients made it difficult to justify buying two different machines, and having the ability to perform both functions without sending people to faraway places for one or the other function. There could be a rocker switch that does a CT scan when pushed one direction and a PET scan when set the other.
Hubris is but one possible explanation, economics could be another.
You are in my prayers as well.
Post a Comment