I manage a blog for Sisters discussing General Conference...I thought it would be a great idea...as a FAMILY we can do it, also....FAMILY was greatly discussed in this Conference...and collectively we can give each other STRENGTH...as our world turns upside down....I pasted what I posted on the Sisters blog this morning....How about it? Also, if you, in your personal studies of the gospel...would share thoughts with all of us....it might be just the idea that will strengthen someone in the family....
"The Love of God"
You will find ALL the Conference talks on www.lds.org - but here is the LINK to Uchtdorf's talk:http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-7,00.html
This General Conference set of discussions...I thought it would be appropriate to begin with President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk on "The Love of God" FIRST, because of the subject he presented...
When Christ was asked "Master, which is the GREAT COMMANDMENT in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all they mind. THIS IS THE FIRST AND GREAT COMMANDMENT." Matthew 22:36-38
"And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" Matthew 22:39
"ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS." Matthew 22:40
President Uchtdorf asked this question:
Brothers and sisters, of all the things we want to be known for, are there attributes above all others that should define us as members of His Church, even as disciples of Jesus Christ?
Sisters...have you ever asked yourself..."How does my life reflect what I truly believe?" One of my FAVORITE quotes was stated by Ganhdi: "My life is my message"....
I find it interesting...what people have inscribed on their tombstones...Take Thomas Jefferson for instance...I quote this statment from - http://sc94.ameslab.gov/TOUR/tjefferson.html :
Thomas Jefferson wished to be remembered for three achievements in his public life. He had served as governor of Virginia, as U.S. minister to France, as secretary of state under George Washington, as vice-president in the administration of John Adams, and as president of the United States from 1801 to 1809. On his tombstone, however, which he designed and for which he wrote the inscription, there is no mention of these offices. Rather, it reads that Thomas Jefferson was "author of the Declaration of American Independence, of the Statute of Virginia for religious freedom, and Father of the University of Virginia" and, as he requested, "not a word more." Historians might want to add other accomplishments--for example, his distinction as an architect, naturalist, and linguist--but in the main they would concur with his own assessment.
Mine might say..."Wife, Mother, Patriot for FREEDOM" Yet, I am not certain...I qualify, yet, to inscribe..."and Disciple of Christ" After much reflection of my life, like Scooge in "A Christmas Carol"... I can repent of my ways....and try to live as closely as I can...in becoming a true DISCIPLE of CHRIST...
President Uchtdorf addresses: "How Do We Become True Disciples of Jesus Christ?"; "Why Should We Love God?"; "Why Does Heavenly Father Love Us?"; "How Can We Increase Our Love of God?"; "How Can We Hear the Father’s Voice?"; and "Why Is Love the Great Commandment?"
I loved this line of his thoughts:
"Love is the measure of our faith, the inspiration for our obedience, and the true altitude of our discipleship."
Would love your reflections...on this wonderful talk by President Uchtdorf....
I might add this...One of the CLASSIC talks I have ever heard on this very subject...was given by President Ezra Taft Benson....... "The Great Commentment - Love the Lord" given in General Conference...April 1988 -
Here is the link for this GREAT TALK: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=1aebd7630a27b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
Here is a GREAT quote from President Benson's talk:
The great test of life is obedience to God.
The great task of life is to learn the will of the Lord and then do it.
The great commandment of life is, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength” (Mark 12:30).
2 comments:
Here is a real test: as we listen to testimonies during fast and testimony meeting, we should seek to hear the voice of God, as elder Uchtdorf suggested we do (seek to find God - he speaks to us everywhere.")
In reading comments from the SISTERS in my emails, etc. --- this thought came to mind...something I thought about in the PAST:
....that SATAN WINS each time...we concentrate on another's weaknesses....for it takes away...from working on our own....Seems we are to BUILD OTHERS.......WORK on our OWN WEAKNESSES....(not others) and then....the REWARD would be HARMONY with the SPIRIT!!!! EVERYONE WINS!!!! (smile)
Sounds like...the TONE of both STAKE and GENERAL CONFERENCES is to cleanse the "Inner Vessel"...so we can be in tune with the SPIRIT...so we can be GUIDED...through these difficult times...plus it will help us to become a ZION PEOPLE...We must be of ONE HEART and ONE MIND....to be able to ENDURE to the end....
Post a Comment